Header Image for Kidwelly Town Council

Attractions 

Kidwelly Castle

Kidwelly castle is one of Wales' best-kept secrets. It is built on a steep bluff overlooking the River Gwendraeth and presents a vision of medieval times. It is remarkably well preserved and its soaring twin-towered gatehouse stands almost to full height.

picture of kidwelly castle and link to official web site

St. Mary's Priory & Parish Church

Built in c1320 as a Benedictine Priory before the Reformation. The simple tower with its graceful spire is deemed to be the most outstanding architectural feature of the whole structure.

picture of st mary's church kidwelly and link to more information

Kidwelly Industrial Museum

Preservation and interpretation of the Pack Mill Tinplate process. Making artefacts accessible to the public.

Opening times for the Museum are posted on the their website, these are updated  regularly. The Museum can be opened at other times to suit group visits, for more information about this contact info@kidwellyindustrialmuseum.org.uk or visit the website. Please visit the website to see upcoming events and activities.

If you would like to support the museum as a volunteer more information can be found on the website.


picture of machine at kidwelly industrial museum and link to museum web site

 

Glan yr Afon and Slaughterhouse

The area now known as the Local Nature reserve at Glan yr Afon would have been a tidal salting during the period when the slaughterhouse was in use. Recently, a report by the local Archaeological Trust, Cambria, has shown the building to have very unique features, not found in any other building structure in South Wales. 

picture of glan yr afan slaughterhouse kidwelly and link to more information

Kymer's Canal

In 1766 and 1788, Thomas Kymer constructed a three-mile long canal and dock to transport coal from his coalpits near Carway. A substantial length of this historic canal has been excavated and a section of the old quay has been reconstructed. 

picture of kymer's canal kidwelly

The Quay

The fortunes of the town declined in the 16th Century due mainly to the silting up of the Gwendraeth Estuary. The 18th. Century brought a revival with the export of coal from the Gwendraeth Valleys. Coalyards and wharfs lined the riverbanks below the town and a shipbuilding yard was established on the site of what is now the English Methodist Chapel.

picture of kidwelly quay

Ffos Las Horse Racing Course

The UK's first new National Hunt racecourse development in 80 years. The project will also become an equestrian centre of excellence for Wales through the incorporation of training facilities, horse jumping and dressage arenas, point-to-point facilities and eventing courses. The Racecouse The racecourse consists of a 1 mile 4 furlong oval track with provision for National Hunt and Flat Racing. 

picture of horses racing at ffos las horse racing course carway kidwelly and link to official ffos las web site

Pembrey West Wales Airport

In August 1997, Wales´ links with the rest of the world received a major boost when Pembrey Airport, near Llanelli, was opened by the Secretary of State for Wales.

This award winning commercial airport is situated on the north of the Carmarthen Bay Peninsula. Facilities include a fully functional terminal building, ATC, restaurant and flight school. Future plans include UK & International Charter flights.

Pembrey Circuit

Pembrey provides racing for cars, motorcycles, karts & trucks. Pembrey also hosts rallies and sprints. The circuit is an ideal base for corporate and motorsport team activities, and offers a dedicated series of motorsport performance driving schools.

picture of motor racing and link to official pembrey motor racing circuit nr kidwelly

Pembrey Country Park

Pembrey Country Park is situated approximately 3 miles from Kidwelly. It attracts over 300,000 visitors a year to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of Pembrey forest and the seven miles of Cefn Sidan beach. It is a superb seaside Country Park offering a magnificent beach, woodland picnic areas, a dry-ski slope, horse riding, land yachting, orienteering, parascending, mini-railway and putting green.

picture of cefn sidan and pembrey country park and link to official web page

Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust Centre - Penclacwydd

The naturalist, the late Sir Peter Scott, founded the Trust in 1946 at Slimbridge in Gloucestershire. The Penclacwydd Centre translated as "The Hill of the Gander" covers some 200 acres of salt marshes. Sections are designated zones of special scientific interest. Splendid facilities with planned walks, secluded hides, spectacular views of the estuary, a hatchery, a visitors centre and coffee shop. It is recognized to be of international importance for wading birds.

picture of children in a boat at penclacwydd wildfowl and wetlands trust centre llanelli nr kidwelly